Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day-shift, again

Arrggghhh....I hate waking in the early AM....

Coffee...two cups. Now I can think....maybe....

I have an hour to get ready for work, and half an hour to read my mail. Then I'm off to the Pasta Plant to put little tiny noodles in little boxes. Today is different though, I'll be riding in our new ( pre-owned ) mini-van.

Jose' came through with the title yesterday, we've been waiting for several weeks. Jose' is from Mexico, and has to return for a period of time to reapply for his visa. So...he sold us his mini-van! He's a great kid ( about 22 years old ), and a good worker ( actually he's had several promotions and is in line for a supervisors job ).

When Jose' and his wife and child showed up with the van ( his wife and child were in their other vehicle, a nice new Ford truck ), I began to wonder how he could afford two nice vehicles on the wages he and his wife make. It turns out that he doesn't pay taxes, if he only stays for five years ( that's why he's leaving, to re-establish his tax-exempt visitors status ).

Now he's off to Mexico, were he'll have at least several thousand dollars to live on for half a year before he comes back to resume his job at the Pasta Plant.

Mexican nationals make up about one third of our work force. From what I've seen and heard in the last five years, nearly all are legal. We did have a small raid by INS about four years ago, it would seem that three Mexicans had the same Social Security Card. ( how does that work? )

My wife and I are going for a 'drive' this afternoon, and I'm taking the camera. It will be nice to ride around with Air Conditioning for once ( of course our old Mercury had the standard four-by-fifty-five AC unit; roll down four windows and drive fifty-five mph ).

I'll post some pictures....

See ya....

No comments: